Monday, September 22, 2008

When a man craves meat

Sometimes boys just crave a nice cut of meat (mind out of the gutters people!). I found some really nice cuts of fillet mignon the other day and decided to make a simple steak with it.
I thought the simple sides of a homemade salsa and avocado mash would go with the steak well.

When I splurge and buy a really nice cut of meat, I only season it with salt and pepper to let the quality of them eat speak for itself. My family prefers medium done.

I served it with a simple pizza made from store bought pre-made pizza dough. I only used half of the pizza dough and I rolled it out on a baking sheet. I baked the pizza at 400oF for 8 minutes then I took it out. I sliced and seeded a tomato, and tore some fresh basil. On the half-baked pizza, I spread tomato sauce evenly followed by the tomato and basil. I sprinkled shredded mozzarella on top of it. The pizza baked for an additional 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.


Fillet Mignon with a Salsa and Avocado Mash
Ingredients
Homemade Salsa
1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, seeded and cubed
2 serrano peppers, seeded and diced
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced

Avocado Mash
1 avocado
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt

(1) Mix all ingredients for salsa together and refrigerate.
(2) Peel an avocado and remove skin and seed. Roughly chop the avocado and mash with fork. Mix in lime juice, onion and salt. (Acid helps keep avocado bright green instead of brown). Refrigerate.
(3) Grill meat of choice seasoned with salt and pepper on both sides
(4) Serve steak with the two sides immediately


Pizza Margherita

No comments: