Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cooking daily .. it is possible!

I woke up to the sound of pouring rain and thunder beating against my window. I almost dreaded going to class. I looked forward to tasting my version of my mom's classic.

Tuesday *my super busy day with 4 classes*
Lunch
My Mom's Roasted Chuck Roast
LO (left overs) - Risotto from Monday
Thai Cucumber and Tomato Salad



Mom's Chuck Roast
Ingredients
1lb~1.5lb Chuck Roast
1 cup of low-sodium, fat-free chicken stock
2 Tablespoons of rice wine
4 Tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
3 garlic cloves smashed, roughly chopped
3 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons of Pepper
salt to taste
Aluminum Foil


(1.) Mix all the ingredients except the meat together. Taste the marinade. Adjust salt and sweetness according to personal preference.
(2.) Emerse the cut of meat fully. Refrigerate overnight or at least 4-5 hours.
(3.) Preheat the oven to 220oF.
(4.) Take the meat out and let it sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes
(5.) Discard the marinade. Wrap the meat tightly with aluminum foil. (Be sure the sides of the foil are on the top of the meat (a lot of liquid will be inside the package)
(6.) Place the foiled-wrapped meat in a baking dish (make sure it is not too shallow in case liquid seeps through).
(7.) Bake for 2hrs - 2.5 hrs. Take out the dish and set on counter for 10-20 minutes.
(8.) When opening the package please be careful because a lot of liquid will be come out so open on a deep dish.


Tips: Chuck roast is a very tough cut of meat perfect for braising or slow-roasting (like this recipe). The aluminum foil acts as a sealing agent pressure cooking the meat because of how tightly wrapped the meat is. This is my go-to meal on tuesdays because I marinade the meat the night before and I put it in the oven when I go to my morning class and have my roommates watch the oven. By the time I get home, the meal is ready to be served with a simple salad.


Thai Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Ingredients
1 Large Cucumber (peeled, halved, seeded and diced)
6 Grape Tomatoes (quartered or halved)
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or substitute with 1 finely diced, seeded serrano peppers)

(1.) Mix lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and peppers together. Taste the mixture and adjust according to personal preference
(2.) Toss and coat the cucumber slices and tomatoes in the vinagrette
(3.) Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving. This allows the sweetness of the tomatoes to mix with the vinagrette.


...this week is starting off rather well...

No comments: