Monday, September 8, 2008

Planning ahead...

Last year, I barely entered the kitchen to cook unless I was making a sandwich. Take-out and delivery were my best friend. This year I vowed to cook 99% of all the food I ate.

So far, I'm 4 weeks into my (super) senior year of college and I've managed to cook almost all my meals at home. I bought a huge white board that I've stuck on my fridge labeled with all the days of the week. Under each day, I put down the dishes I plan on cooking for (L)unch and (D)inner. Since I have access to a car this year, grocery shopping is very simple. I plan my meals and go grocery shopping once a week taking into account my weekly schedule of classes and extra-curricular activities.

Monday
Lunch

Spicy Grilled Lamb Loin
Sweet Corn and Baby Portobello Risotto
Mixed Greens with Asian Sesame Dressing (store bought dressing)


Dinner
Tilapia with Spicy Panang Curry Sauce
Spicy Thai Curry Egg Noodles






Tilapia over Thai Curry Sauce
Ingredients

2 Fillets of Tilapia
Salt and Pepper to Taste


Sauce
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
3 Tablespoons Panang Curry Spices (can be bought in Asian speciality stores)
1/2 can of Coconut Milk
1 cup of low-sodium Chicken Stock
1/2 Finely Diced Green Peppers
1/2 Finely Diced Sweet Onions
3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar

2 cups of cooked egg noodles (if desired)

(1.) Heat a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil.
(2.) Stir the peppers and onions for 2-3 minutes or until onions are semi-translucent
(3.) Stir in half the panang curry spice into the pepper mixture
(4.) Pour in the coconut milk and remaining curry spices
(5.) Add the sugar and stir on medium high until it simmers.
(6.) Keep it warm on low heat

(7.) Heat a grill pan to high heat.
(8.) Sprinkle salt and pepper over each side of the tilapia
(9.) Spray cooking oil lightly over the grill pan.
(10.) Grill each side of the tilapis for 2-3 minutes or until its cooked through
(11.) Plate the tilapia and spoon the curry sauce over the fish
(12.) Toss remaining sauce with egg noodles to serve as a simple side dish

No comments: